Prominence vs Zenith - What's the difference?
As nouns the difference between prominence and zenith
is that prominence
is the state of being prominent: widely known or eminent while zenith
The state of being prominent: widely known or eminent.
*:“My Continental prominence is improving,” I commented dryly. ¶ Von Lindowe cut at a furze bush with his silver-mounted rattan. ¶ “Quite so,” he said as dryly, his hand at his mustache. “I may say if your intentions were known your life would not be worth a curse.”
A bulge: something that bulges out or is protuberant or projects from a form.
(lb) Autonomous height; relative height or prime factor; a concept used in the categorization of hills and mountains.
(astronomy) The point in the sky vertically above a given position or observer; the point in the celestial sphere opposite the nadir.
* 1638 Herbert, Sir Thomas Some years travels into divers parts of Asia and Afrique
* 1671–1693 : Rev. Thomas Jolly, private notebook ; printed in:
* 1895 , Henry Fishwick (editor), The Note Book of the Rev. Thomas Jolly: A.D. 1671–1693. Extracts from the Church Books of Altham and Wymondhouses, 1649–1725. And an Account of the Jolly Family of Standish, Gorton, and Altham ,
- The 12 day wee had the wind high and large ?o that in two dayes ?aile we made the Sunne our Zenith or verticall point...
(astronomy) The highest point in the sky reached by a celestial body.
- In this 10th m. appeared that prodigious Comett the tayl whereof was like the blade of a double edged sword, and reached almost from the horizon to the zenith .
* 1920 , , The Understanding Heart , Chapter II:
- ...in the middle of the day, when the sun was in the zenith , the violence of the heat was too great to stir out...
Highest point or state; peak.
- As far to the west as Monica could see, her world was a sea of fog, , the fog gradually took on a bluish tinge.
- I find my zenith doth depend upon / A most auspicious star.
- It was during those civil troubles this aspiring family reached the zenith .
, author=William Beckford
, title=The History of the Caliph Vathek
, passage="There for a while I enjoyed myself in the zenith
of glory and pleasure."}}
* (highest point or state) acme, apogee, culmination, pinnacle
* See also