Quadrate vs Zalambdodont - What's the difference?
| coordinate terms
Quadrate is a coordinate term of zalambdodont.
As nouns the difference between quadrate and zalambdodont
is that quadrate
is while zalambdodont
is a creature with teeth of this kind.
As an adjective zalambdodont is
(zoology) having teeth with two ridges that meet at an angle, forming the letter lambda.
Having four equal sides, the opposite sides parallel, and four right angles; square.
Produced by multiplying a number by itself; square.
* 1646-72 , , Pseudodoxia Epidemica , book 4, ch. 12:
- Figures, some round, some triangle, some quadrate .
(archaic) Square; even; balanced; equal; exact.
- The number of Ten hath been as highly extolled, as containing even, odd, long, plain, quadrate and cubical numbers.
(archaic) Squared; suited; correspondent.
- A quadrate , solid, wise man.
- A generical description quadrate to both.
(geometry) A plane surface with four equal sides and four right angles; a square; hence, figuratively, anything having the outline of a square.
* 1667 , , Paradise Lost , Book VI:
- At which command, the powers militant
(astrology) An aspect of the heavenly bodies in which they are distant from each other 90°, or the quarter of a circle; quartile.
(anatomy) The quadrate bone.
- That stood for heaven, in mighty quadrate joined.
(archaic) To adjust (a gun) on its carriage.
(archaic) To train (a gun) for horizontal firing.
(archaic, ambitransitive) To square.
(archaic) To square; to agree; to suit; to correspond (with).
- quadrating the circle
* Edmund Burke
- not quadrating with American ideas of right, justice and reason
- The objections of these speculatists, if its forces do not quadrate with their theories, are as valid against such an old and beneficent government as against the most violent tyranny or the greenest usurpation.
(zoology) Having teeth with two ridges that meet at an angle, forming the letter lambda.
A creature with teeth of this kind.