An emission of a rapid stream of bubbles.
The sound of such an emission.
- I poured a cola and waited for the fizz to settle down before topping off the glass.
A carbonated beverage.
- Evan sat back in the hot tub and listened to the relaxing fizz and pops produced by the eruption of bubbles.
- Nathan ordered an orange fizz from the soda jerk at the counter.
* (emission of bubbles) effervescence, foam, froth, head
* (sound of bubbles) bubble, fizzle, hiss, sputter
* (carbonated beverage) pop, seltzer, soda, tonic
To emit bubbles.
To make a rapid hissing or bubbling sound.
To shoot or project something moving at great velocity.
- the fizzing fuse of a bomb
, date=January 15
, author=Saj Chowdhury
, title=Man City 4 - 3 Wolves
, passage=And just before the interval, Kolarov, who was having one of his better games in a City shirt, fizzed in a cracker from 30 yards which the Wolves stopper unconvincingly pushed behind for a corner.}}
To travel at a great velocity, producing a sound caused by the speed.
, date=January 15
, author=Sam Sheringham
, title=Chelsea 2 -03 Blackburn Rovers
, passage=Terry came close to doubling Chelsea's lead when his header from Lampard's mis-hit volley fizzed inches past the upright.}}
* (emit bubbles) bubble, effervesce, foam, froth
* (make bubbling sound) fizzle, hiss, sizzle, sputter
An often humid, yellowish froth produced by fermenting malt worts, and used to brew beer, leaven bread, and also used in certain medicines.
A single-celled fungus of a wide variety of taxonomic families.
# A true yeast or budding yeast in order Saccharomycetales.
## , Saccharomyces cerevisiae
### A compressed cake or dried granules of this substance used for mixing with flour to make bread dough rise.
## brewer's yeast, certain species of Saccharomyces'', principally ''Saccharomyces cerevisiae and .
# Candida , a ubiquitous fungus that can cause various kinds of infections in humans.
## The resulting infection, candidiasis.
(figuratively) A frothy foam.
* 1851 , Herman Melville, Moby-Dick :
- But what most puzzled and confounded you was a long, limber, portentous, black mass of something hovering in the centre of the picture over three blue, dim, perpendicular lines floating in a nameless yeast .
* active dry yeast
* brewer's yeast
* red yeast rice
* true yeast
* yeast extract
* yeast infection
* nutritional yeast
(of something prepared with a yeasted dough) To rise.
(African American Vernacular English, slang) To exaggerate