Islam vs Xeer - What's the difference?
As nouns the difference between islam and xeer
is that islam
is islam while xeer
is the traditional legal system of somalia, believed to predate islam, in which elders serve as mediators and people are responsible for the actions of their families.
A monotheistic Abrahamic religion followed by Muslims that is based on the teachings of Muhammad and the Qur'an .
# (specifically) The Muslim way of life; the collective body or culture of Muslim believers and traditions
* religion, monotheism, Abrahamism
* sharia law
The traditional legal system of Somalia, believed to predate Islam, in which elders serve as mediators and people are responsible for the actions of their families.
* 1977 , David D Laitin, Politics, language, and thought: the Somali experience?
* 2005 , Walter Dostal, Wolfgang Kraus, Shattering tradition: custom, law and the individual in the Muslim Mediterranean
- It arranges for settlement of collective debts, discusses xeer dealings with central authorities, maintains the group wells, and protects grazing areas.
* 2007 , Lars Buur, Helene Maria Kyed, State recognition and democratization in Sub-Saharan Africa
- In rural areas, there is still confusion between xeer and shari'a.
- The key feature of the xeer is its common law character...