Worship vs Blasphemy - What's the difference?
Worship is an antonym of blasphemy.
As nouns the difference between worship and blasphemy
is that worship
is (obsolete) the condition of being worthy; honour, distinction while blasphemy
is irreverence toward something considered sacred or inviolable.
As a verb worship
is to honor and adore, especially as a deity.
(obsolete) The condition of being worthy; honour, distinction.
*1590 , (Edmund Spenser), The Faerie Queene , III.3:
*:Then he forth on his journey did proceede, / To seeke adventures which mote him befall, / And win him worship through his warlike deed.
The devotion accorded to a deity or to a sacred object.
The religious ceremonies that express this devotion.
*(John Tillotson) (1630-1694)
*:The worship of God is an eminent part of religion, and prayer is a chief part of religious worship.
(by extension) The ardent love of a something.
An object of worship.
*(Henry Wadsworth Longfellow) (1807-1882)
*:In attitude and aspect formed to be / At once the artist's worship and despair.
Honour; respect; civil deference.
*(Edmund Spenser) (c.1552–1599)
*:of which great worth and worship may be won
*(Bible), (w) xiv. 10
*:Then shalt thou have worship in the presence of them that sit at meat with thee.
- I will be on horsbak said the knyght / thenne was Arthur wrothe and dressid his sheld toward hym with his swerd drawen / whan the knyght sawe that / he a lyghte / for hym thought no worship to haue a knyght at suche auaille he to be on horsbak and he on foot and so he alyght & dressid his sheld vnto Arthur
* freedom of worship
* Her Worship
* His Worship
* house of worship
* place of worship
* Worshipful Master
* Your Worship
To reverence (a deity, etc.) with supreme respect and veneration; to perform religious exercises in honour of.
- God is to be worshipped .
To honour with extravagant love and extreme submission, as a lover; to adore; to idolize.
- When all our fathers worshipped stocks and stones.
To participate in religious ceremonies.
- With bended knees I daily worship her.
- We worship at the church down the road.
Irreverence toward something considered sacred or inviolable.
The act of insulting or showing contempt or lack of reverence for any religion's deity or deities.
The act of claiming the attributes of a deity.
- That imam said that drawing the prophet Muhammad is a form of blasphemy .
* (irreverent language) cursing]], cussing, execration, imprecation, profanity, [[swear, swearing
* (unholy act) profanation, desecration, sacrilege, violation
* reverence, veneration, worship, adoration