Witchcraft vs Voodoo - What's the difference?
As nouns the difference between witchcraft and voodoo
is that witchcraft
is the practice of witches; magic, sorcery or the use supernatural powers to influence or predict events while voodoo
is a religion of the ewe/fon of west africa, practiced chiefly in benin.
As a verb voodoo is
to bewitch someone or something using.
Other Comparisons: What's the difference?
The practice of witches; magic, sorcery or the use supernatural powers to influence or predict events.
* 1387 , John Trevisa (transl.), Polychronicon Ranulphi Higden Monachi Cestrensis ,
- And in þat ilond is sortilege and wicchecraft i-vsed. For wommen þere selliþ schipmen wynde, as it were i-closed vnder þre knottes of þrede, so þat þe more wynd he wol haue, he wil vnknette þe mo knottes.
- Wiccans believe in a modernised form of witchcraft .
A religion of the Ewe/Fon of West Africa, practiced chiefly in Benin.
Any of a group of related religious practices found chiefly in and around the Caribbean, particularly in Haiti and Louisiana.
(pejorative) Any sort of magical or irrational approach to a problem.
(dated) One who practices voodoo; a native sorcerer.
* 1889 , Longman's Magazine (volume 14, page 557)
- I want a real explanation, not this statistical voodoo .
- So a reporter of the Boston Herald (U.S.) has 'interviewed' a few local Voodoos . He has seen a dance round a boiling pot, seen some tomfoolery with spiders, and heard a lot of superstitious nonsense.
* (religion of Africa or the Americas) vodoun, voudoun, vodun, voudou, Voodoo
* (religion) voodooism
* voodoo death
* voodoo doll
* voodoo economics
* voodoo programming
* voodoo science
To bewitch someone or something using
- He claimed his neighbor had voodooed him.
* (Haitian Vodou)
* (West African Vodun)