The act of disparaging, of belittling.
- His disparagement of his opponent failed to dissuade voters.
(often, humorous) A whimsical monster in folklore and children's fiction; a bugbear.
* 1901 , Charles M. Snyder, Runaway Robinson , page 53
* 1920 , , The Understanding Heart , Chapter II
*:Bob gave the man fair warning. Told him if he ever prowled around his home again he'd better come a–fogging; the man took a chance and now he's where the woodbine twineth and the whangdoodle mourneth for its mate.
* 1960' (Aug. 22), "Yarns and Whoppers and Practical Jokes", ''Life'' ' 49 (8): 56
- "I'm n-n-not a tor-tor-tortoise," stuttered the curious creature, "I'm a wha-wha-whang-whang-doodle."
"A whangdoodle ! What's that?"
(obsolete) (Term of disparagement)
* 1862 , , Mark Twain's letters: 1853-1866 , Volume 1 (published 1987), page 171
- In the Big Rock Candy Mountains lies a happy hobo land where the boxcars are all empty, where there are cigaret trees and rock-and-rye springs and the whangdoodle sings.
* 1867 , John Ballou Newbrough, The fall of Fort Sumter, or, Love and war in 1860-61 , page 131
- For a man who can listen for an hour to Mr. White, the whining, nasal, Whangdoodle preacher, and then sit down and write, without shedding melancholy from his pen as water slides from a duck's back, is more than mortal.
* 1928' (Mar.), Martin Bunn, "When You Buy a Car", ''Popular Science'' ' 112 (3): 138
- and I want you to conflumux everything got up by Mrs. Davis or Miss Lane, or any other of these political whangdoodles .
(poker) A ruling in which the opening stake limits are doubled for the next play after the appearance of a very good hand.
* 1940 , Clement Wood & Gloria Goddard, The Complete Book of Games , page 296
- "Now, Ben, you're a lawyer. You don't give a whang-doodle about anything mechanical."
- It is sometimes agreed in advance that after a hand of certain rank, such as Four of a Kind or a Full House, is shown, a Whangdoodle or Jackpot must be played
* (whimsical monster) bogeyman, bugbear, gremlin
* (whimsical monster) monster
* (poker) jackpot