Jakey vs Wakey - What's the difference?
As nouns the difference between jakey and wakey
is that jakey
is (chiefly|scotland) a homeless drunk while wakey
is (military|slang) the day on which one wakes up and travels home.
(chiefly, Scotland) A homeless drunk
(military, slang) The day on which one wakes up and travels home.
* Gary Blinco, Down a Country Lane
* 2010 , Ian McGibbon, New Zealand's Vietnam War (page 542)
- 'You beauty, only 364 and a wakey to go,' the countdown had begun and would continue, as few days passed without someone calling the time. I spared a thought for our temporary enemy whose tour would endure to the end of the war
* 2011 , Richard "Barney" Bigwood, We Were Reos: Australian Infantry Reinforcements in VIETNAM (page 47)
- Morale was also usually high, helped by the men's recognition that their service in Vietnam had strict limits – one year, or, to use a soldiers' expression of the time, 364 days and a 'wakey' (the day the men woke to prepare to fly out).
- When you became a 'short timer' (20 days and a wakey ) you delighted in sticking it up to the new arrivals.