Gaffled vs Waffled - What's the difference?
As verbs the difference between gaffled and waffled
is that gaffled
) while waffled
As an adjective waffled is
having a waffle-like pattern of intersecting creases.
(obsolete) A lever used to bend a crossbow
A steel spur attached to a gamecock
Gaffling is a planning technique for orienteering relay courses whereby individual routes are planned so as to vary slightly and to make following difficult. This means that the competition depends more on navigational skills rather than just physical ability. See British Orienteering Federation's Event Guideline F for Relay Events, Section 3.
To talk incessantly without a purpose, usually about inane or pointless topics; to banter.
*OED 2nd edition 1989 (noun sense)
Having a waffle-like pattern of intersecting creases.
* 2001 , Randy Holderfield, Michael J. Varhola, D-Day: The Invasion of Normandy, June 6, 1944 , page 73:
* 2001 , Rela Mazali, Maps of Women's Goings and Stayings , page 213:
- The US "pineapple" grenade's iron outer surface was waffled to aid its fragmentation into jagged shrapnel when it exploded.
* 2004 , , Fluke: Or, I Know Why the Winged Whale Sings , HarperCollins, ISBN 978-0-06-056668-5,
- In a light white dress that I think was waffled cotton, or possibly a very light pastel blue. The color occurs to me when I look at the photo, unembodied, floating alongside of it. It's in black and white. Probably snapped before color [...]
* 2007 , , Flash of Eden , AuthorHouse, ISBN 978-1-4343-4070-2,
- Nate and Amy were waiting in the lobby of the Maui county jail in Wailuku, sitting in metal chairs designed to promote discomfort and waffled butt skin.
* 1996 , Michael D. Tusiani, The Petroleum Shipping Industry: A nontechnical overview :
- You have seen catering trucks: shiny stainless steel that is waffled with creases that look like diamonds.
- The primary barrier between the cargo and the first layer of insulation, and the secondary barrier between the two layers of insulation, were waffled or corrugated stainless steel plates free to contract or expand independently [...]