(informal) Turpentine or turpentine substitute.
(slang, Australia, New Zealand) Any alcoholic drink.
* 2005 , Paul Smitz, Australia & New Zealand on a Shoestring ,
* 2006 , Gregor Paul, Hard Men Fight Back: Kiwi Sportsmen Who Beat the Odds to Live Their Dream ,
- Generally, big nights on the turps take place in The Rocks and around Kings Cross — where you'll hear and smell the action pretty quickly.
* 2010 , Alex Bartoli, Rachel: A Story of Obsessive Love : A Novel ,
- Crazy sessions on the turps were all part of the culture.
- She caught my eye, and called out, “Just showing off the studio. Keep the turps flowing.”
* on the turps
(slang) A belch where a small amount of stomach acid is brought up into the mouth, creating a taste similar to that of vomit.
, date = 1999-01-20
, author = User455673
, url = http://groups.google.com/group/alt.sports.football.pro.ne-patriots/msg/5da5bd886874d88f?q=vurps
, title = Re: Jets set new post season record!
, newsgroup = alt.sports.football.pro.ne-patriots
, passage = BTW , dry toast is the rule for a major case of the "vurps
" . <g>
, date = 2000-08-18
, author = SilverBullet
, url = http://groups.google.com/group/alt.current-events.clinton.whitewater/msg/90686f0ea6625a18?q=vurp
, title = Al Gore: I Am My Own Man...
, newsgroup = alt.current-events.clinton.whitewater
, passage = Gore can't even change the inflection in his voice without sounding like someone trying to talk and hold a vurp
back at the same time.
, date = 2001-04-14
, author = Mike Kim
, url = http://groups.google.com/group/rec.audio.car/msg/9e912f5227226289?q=vurp
, title = Re: 3 way component sets
, newsgroup = rec.audio.car
, passage = well i don't know. for instance, i'd rather smell a burp rather than a fart, unless, it happened to be a very bad burp (or even worse, a vurp
, date = 2012-10-29
, title = (Wreck-It Ralph
, people = (Sarah Silverman
, role = Vanellope von Schweetz and Wreck-It Ralph
, passage = Vannellope:'' And now... Now I think I'm going to puke, actually. I mean, I think I might puke. You know, like a "vurp ."
''Ralph:'' A what?
Vomit and a burp together, and you can taste it, and it's like just like rising up... Oh, this is so exciting!
(slang) To experience a combination of burping and vomiting.
* 2005 , Nancy N. Rue, ’Nama Beach High Book 4: Totally Unfair , Zondervan, ISBN 978-0-310-25183-5,
* 2007 , , Violet on the Runway , Berkley Books, ISBN 978-0-425-21704-7,
- “If Laurie gets two sundaes, then I get two,” Bonnie said. ¶ “It’s a Celeste-ism,” I said.
* 2009 , Don Calame, Swim the Fly , Candlewick Press, ISBN 978-0-7636-4157-3,
- She heads into the kitchen to pour a glass of the all-American drink [milk] for our all-American athlete. The scene is enough to make me want to vurp . How did I end up the lone monster in a family that belongs on a porcelain Christmas plate?
- I took some meat loaf and mashed potatoes even though I wasn’t hungry. I’m regretting it now as I ride my mountain bike, vurping onions and garlic and hard-boiled egg.
* “vurp” in Xin-An Lu and David W. Graf Jr., A Concise Collection of College Students’ Slang , iUniverse (2004), page 106.