As nouns the difference between visionary and prophet
is that visionary
is someone who has visions; a seer while prophet
is someone who speaks by divine inspiration.
As a adjective visionary
is having vision or foresight.
Other Comparisons: What's the difference?
having vision or foresight
* Alexander Pope
imaginary or illusory
prophetic or revelatory
- Or lull to rest the visionary maid.
idealistic or utopian
- The visionary hour / When musing midnight reigns.
- a visionary scheme or project
- (Jonathan Swift)
someone who has visions; a seer
an impractical dreamer
someone who has positive ideas about the future
Someone who speaks by divine inspiration.
Someone who predicts the future; a soothsayer.
- Muslims believe that Muhammad was the final prophet sent to mankind.
* prophesise, prophesize nonstandard