Vile vs Evil - What's the difference?
As adjectives the difference between vile and evil
is that vile
is morally low; base; despicable while evil
is intending to harm; malevolent.
As a noun evil is
moral badness; wickedness; malevolence; the forces or behaviors that are the opposite or enemy of good.
Other Comparisons: What's the difference?
morally low; base; despicable
Intending to harm; malevolent.
- Do you think that companies that engage in animal testing are evil ?
- an evil plot to kill innocent people
Producing or threatening sorrow, distress, injury, or calamity; unpropitious; calamitous.
* Bible, Deuteronomy xxii. 19
- Ah, what a sign it is of evil life, / When death's approach is seen so terrible.
- He hath brought up an evil name upon a virgin of Israel.
- The owl shrieked at thy birth — an evil sign.
(obsolete) Having harmful qualities; not good; worthless or deleterious.
- Evil news rides post, while good news baits.
* Bible, Matthew vii. 18
- an evil''' beast; an '''evil''' plant; an '''evil crop
(computing, programming, slang) undesirable; harmful; bad practice
- A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit.
- Global variables are evil ; storing processing context in object member variables allows those objects to be reused in a much more flexible way.
* See also
* evil eye
* evil laugh
* evil laughter
* Evil One
* evil twin
Moral badness; wickedness; malevolence; the forces or behaviors that are the opposite or enemy of good.
* Bible, (Ecclesiastes). ix. 3
* , chapter=16
- The heart of the sons of men is full of evil .
The Mirror and the Lamp
, passage=The preposterous altruism too!
Anything which impairs the happiness of a being or deprives a being of any good; anything which causes suffering of any kind to sentient beings; injury; mischief; harm.
* (John Milton)
* (William Shakespeare)
- evils which our own misdeeds have wrought
(obsolete) A malady or disease; especially in the phrase king's evil (scrofula).
- The evil that men do lives after them.
- He [Edward the Confessor] was the first that touched for the evil .
* axis of evil
* king's evil
* lesser evil
* necessary evil
* poll evil