Virtual vs Victuals - What's the difference?
As nouns the difference between virtual and victuals
is that virtual
is (computing) in c++, a virtual member function of a class while victuals
is (archaic|plurale tantum) food]] [[supply|supplies; provisions.
As an adjective virtual
is in effect or essence, if not in fact or reality; imitated, simulated.
As a verb victuals is
Other Comparisons: What's the difference?
* vertual (obsolete)
* vertuall (qualifier)
* virtuall (obsolete)
In effect or essence, if not in fact or reality; imitated, simulated.
- In fact a defeat on the battlefield, Tet was a virtual victory for the North, owing to its effect on public opinion.
- Virtual addressing allows applications to believe that there is much more physical memory than actually exists.
* De Quincey
- A thing has a virtual existence when it has all the conditions necessary to its actual existence.
Having the power of acting or of invisible efficacy without the agency of the material or measurable part; potential.
* Francis Bacon
- to mask by slight differences in the manners a virtual identity in the substance
- Heat and cold have a virtual transition, without communication of substance.
Nearly, almost. (A relatively recent corruption of meaning, attributed to misuse in advertising and media. )
- Every kind that lives, / Fomented by his virtual power, and warmed.
* 2012 , Chelsea 6-0 Wolves [http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19632463]
- The angry peasants were a virtual army as they attacked the castle.
Simulated in a computer or online.
- The Chelsea captain was a virtual spectator as he was treated to his side's biggest win for almost two years as Stamford Bridge serenaded him with chants of "there's only one England captain," some 48 hours after he announced his retirement from international football.
Operating by computer or in cyberspace; not physically present.
- The virtual world of his computer game allowed character interaction.
(computing, object-oriented programming, of a class member) Capable of being overridden with a different implementation in a subclass.
(physics) Pertaining to particles in temporary existence due to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle.
- a virtual''' assistant; a '''virtual personal trainer
* de facto
* de jure
* virtual reality
(computing) In C++, a virtual member function of a class.
(archaic, plurale tantum) Food]] [[supply, supplies; provisions.
* 1598? , Two Gentlemen of Verona ,Act II, scene I line 181:
- though the chameleon Love can feed on the air, I am one that am nourished by my victuals and would fain have meat.