As adjectives the difference between steep and vertical
is that steep
is of a near-vertical gradient; of a slope, surface, curve, etc that proceeds upward at an angle near vertical while vertical
is along the direction of a plumbline or along a straight line that includes the center of the earth.
As nouns the difference between steep and vertical
is that steep
is a liquid used in a steeping process while vertical
is a vertex or zenith.
As a verb steep
is (ambitransitive) to soak an item (or to be soaked) in liquid in order to gradually add or remove components to or from the item.
The sense of “sharp slope” is attested circa 1200; the sense “expensive” is attested US 1856.
Of a near-vertical gradient; of a slope, surface, curve, etc. that proceeds upward at an angle near vertical.
- a steep''' hill or mountain; a '''steep''' roof; a '''steep''' ascent; a '''steep barometric gradient
(obsolete) Difficult to access; not easy reached; lofty; elevated; high.
- Twenty quid for a shave? That's a bit steep .
(of the rake of a ship's mast, or a car's windshield) resulting in a mast or windshield angle that strongly diverges from the perpendicular
- The steep rake of the windshield enhances the fast lines of the exterior. [http://www.utsandiego.com/uniontrib/20070303/news_lz1dd3maynard.html]
From (etyl) stepen, from (etyl) . More at (l).
(ambitransitive) To soak an item (or to be soaked) in liquid in order to gradually add or remove components to or from the item
- They steep skins in a tanning solution to create leather.
- The tea is steeping .
To imbue with something.
- In refreshing dew to steep / The little, trembling flowers.
- The learned of the nation were steeped in Latin.
- a town steeped in history
A liquid used in a steeping process
A rennet bag.
- Corn steep has many industrial uses.
A vertex or zenith.
A vertical geometrical figure; a perpendicular.
An individual slat in a set of vertical blinds.
A vertical component of a structure.
(marketing) A vertical market.
- We offer specialised accounting software targeting various verticals .
Along the direction of a plumbline or along a straight line that includes the center of the Earth.
In a two dimensional Cartesian co-ordinate system, describing the axis oriented normal (perpendicular, at right angles) to the horizontal axis.
(marketing) Of or pertaining to vertical markets.
* vertical lips
* vertical smile