Versify vs Rhyme - What's the difference?
As verbs the difference between versify and rhyme
is that versify
is (ambitransitive) to make or compose verses while rhyme
is (obsolete) to number; count; reckon.
As a noun rhyme is
(ambitransitive) to make or compose verses
to tell in verse; deal with in verse form
to turn (prose) into poetry; rewrite in verse form
- I'll versify in spite, and do my best.
* (l) (obsolete)
(countable, uncountable) Rhyming verse (poetic form)
A thought expressed in verse; a verse; a poem; a tale told in verse.
- Many editors say they don't want stories written in rhyme .
(countable) A word that rhymes with another.
- Tennyson’s rhymes
- Norse poetry is littered with rhymes''' like "'''s'''ól ... '''s unnan".
# (countable, in particular) A word that rhymes with another, in that it is pronounced identically with the other word from the vowel in its stressed syllable to the end.
- Rap makes use of rhymes such as "money ... honey" and "nope ... dope".
(uncountable) Rhyming: sameness of sound of part of some words.
- "Awake" is a rhyme for "lake".
(countable, uncountable) Rhyming verse (poetic form).
- The poem exhibits a peculiar form of rhyme .
* stave-rhyme, end rhyme
* internal rhyme, cross rhyme
* half rhyme, near rhyme:
** pararhyme, slant rhyme
* full rhyme, perfect rhyme, exact rhyme, true rhyme
* rhyme or reason
* eye rhyme
* female rhyme
* male rhyme
* rhyme royal
* sight rhyme
* nursery rhyme
(obsolete) To number; count; reckon.
(ambitransitive) To compose or treat in verse; versify.
* 1742 , , The Dunciad , book 4, lines 101-102:
- There marched the bard and blockhead, side by side,
Of a word, to be pronounced identically with another from the vowel in its stressed syllable to the end.
- Who rhymed for hire, and patronized for pride.
(reciprocal) Of two or more words, to be pronounced identically from the vowel in the stressed syllable of each to the end of each.
- "Creation" rhymes with "integration" and "station".
- "Mug" and "rug" rhyme .
To put words together so that they rhyme.
- "India" and "windier" rhyme with each other in non-rhotic accents.
- I rewrote it to make it rhyme .
* rhyme off
* rhyming slang