Upwelling vs Plume - What's the difference?
As nouns the difference between upwelling and plume
is that upwelling
is an upward movement from a lower source while plume
is a feather of a bird, especially a large or showy one.
As a verb plume is
to preen and arrange the feathers of.
An upward movement from a lower source.
* 2009 , (Diarmaid MacCulloch), A History of Christianity , Penguin 2010, p. 873:
the oceanographic phenomenon that occurs when strong, usually seasonal, winds push water away from the coast, bringing cold, nutrient-rich deep waters up to the surface
- Rather separate from the abolitionist campaign, although likewise led by anglophone Evangelicals, was a sudden upwelling of commitment to worldwide mission.
A feather of a bird, especially a large or showy one.
The furry tail of certain dog breeds (e.g. Samoyed, Malteagle) that stands erect or curls over their backs.
A cluster of feathers worn as an ornament, especially on a helmet.
- wings of many a coloured plume
A token of honour or prowess; that on which one prides himself; a prize or reward.
- his high plume , that nodded o'er his head
An upward spray of water or mist.
(geology) An upwelling of molten material from the Earth's mantle.
(astronomy) An arc of glowing material erupting from the surface of a star.
A large and flexible panicle of inflorescence resembling a feather, such as is seen in certain large ornamental grasses.
- ambitious to win from me some plume
* plume grass
* plume moth
* plume nutmeg
To preen and arrange the feathers of.
* Washington Irving
To congratulate (oneself) proudly.
- pluming her wings among the breezy bowers
- He plumes himself on his skill.
To strip of feathers; to pluck; to strip; to pillage; also, to peel.
- (Francis Bacon)
To adorn with feathers or plumes.
To form a plume.
- Farewell the plumed troop.
To write; to pen.
- Smoke plumed from his pipe then slowly settled towards the floor.
- We mention this observation, not with any view of pretending to account for so odd a behaviour, but lest some critic should hereafter plume himself on discovering it.