Contrary is a synonym of unsuitable.
As adjectives the difference between contrary and unsuitable
is that contrary
is opposite; in an opposite direction; in opposition; adverse while unsuitable
is not suitable; unfit; inappropriate.
As an adverb contrary
As a noun contrary
is the opposite.
As a verb contrary
is (obsolete) to oppose; to frustrate.
Opposite; in an opposite direction; in opposition; adverse.
* Bible, Leviticus xxvi. 21
- contrary winds
- And if ye walk contrary unto me, and will not hearken unto me
Opposed; contradictory; inconsistent.
- We have lost our labour; they are gone a contrary way.
Given to opposition; perverse; wayward.
- The doctrine of the earth's motion appeared to be contrary to the sacred Scripture.
- a contrary''' disposition; a '''contrary child
* contrary to
One of a pair of propositions that cannot both be simultaneously true.
* I. Watts
- No contraries hold more antipathy / Than I and such a knave.
- If two universals differ in quality, they are contraries ; as, every vine is a tree; no vine is a tree. These can never be both true together; but they may be both false.
* on the contrary
* to the contrary
(obsolete) To oppose; to frustrate.
*:I was advised not to contrary the king.
*:The Athenians having left the enemie in their owne land, for to pass into Sicilie , had very ill successe, and were much contraried by fortune.
(obsolete) To impugn.
(obsolete) To contradict (someone or something).
*:thus wilfully sir Palomydes dyd bataille with yow / & as for hym sir I was not gretely aferd but I dred fore la?celot that knew yow not / Madame said Palomydes ye maye saye what so ye wyll / I maye not contrary yow but by my knyghthode I knewe not sir Tristram
*:I finde them everie one in his turne to have reason, although they contrary one another.
(obsolete) To do the opposite of (someone'' or ''something ).
(obsolete) To act inconsistently or perversely; to act in opposition to .
(obsolete) To argue; to debate; to uphold an opposite opinion.
(obsolete) To be self-contradictory; to become reversed.
Not suitable; unfit; inappropriate.