Disclose vs Unravel - What's the difference?
In lang=en terms the difference between disclose and unravel
is that disclose
is to expose to the knowledge of others; to make known, state openly, reveal while unravel
is to become undone; to collapse.
As verbs the difference between disclose and unravel
is that disclose
is (obsolete) to open up, unfasten while unravel
is to separate the threads (of); disentangle.
As a noun disclose
is (obsolete) a disclosure.
(obsolete) To open up, unfasten.
* Francis Bacon
To uncover, physically expose to view.
- The ostrich layeth her eggs under sand, where the heat of the discloseth them.
* 1972 , Vladimir Nabokov, Transparent Things , McGraw-Hill 1972, p. 13:
- The shells being broken, the stone included in them is thereby disclosed and set at liberty.
To expose to the knowledge of others; to make known, state openly, reveal.
* Alexander Pope
- Its brown curtain was only half drawn, disclosing the elegant legs, clad in transparent black, of a female seated inside.
- Her lively looks a sprightly mind disclose .
- If I disclose my passion, / Our friendship's at an end.
* cover up
(obsolete) A disclosure
to separate the threads (of); disentangle
- Stop playing with the seam of the tablecloth! You will unravel it.
to become undone; to collapse
* 2010 , Ian Cowie,
- Mother couldn't unravel the ball of wool after the cat had played with it.
"State pension Ponzi scheme unravels with retirement at 70", The Telegraph , June 24th, 2010,
*:The great Ponzi scheme that lies behind our State pension is unravelling – as they all do eventually – because money being taken from new investors is insufficient to honour promises issued to earlier generations.
(figurative) To clear from complication or difficulty; to unfold; to solve.
- New Ponzi Scheme Unravels !
- to unravel a plot
- to unravel a mystery
(figurative) To separate the connected or united parts of; to throw into disorder; to confuse.
- to unravel the confusion
- Art shall be conjured for it, and nature all unravelled .
- ''to unravel the global compromise achieved in the Constitutional Treaty
- ''to unravel the broad consensus which was created
unraveling and unraveled are primarily US while unravelling and unravelled are primarily UK.