Unpicks vs Unpacks - What's the difference?
As verbs the difference between unpicks and unpacks
is that unpicks
) while unpacks
(sewing) To undo sewing stitches.
(knitting) To undo knitting in order to reuse the wool.
To unravel or untangle the threads of a rope etc.
(figuratively) To disassemble.
, date=January 25
, author=Paul Fletcher
, title=Arsenal 3 - 0 Ipswich (agg 3 - 1)
, passage=The home team eventually started to unpick
the Town defence and Fabregas forced a saved from visiting goalkeeper Marton Fulop after collecting a pass from Bendtner, who played on the right side of the front line.}}
(senseid)To remove from a package or container, particularly with respect to items that had previously been arranged closely and securely in a pack.
To empty containers that had been packed.
- They didn't have time to unpack their bags before going out to dinner.
To analyze a concept or a text.
(linguistics, of a segment such as a vowel) To undergo separation of its features into distinct segments.
* 2000 , in Language , volume 76, issues 1-2, page 337:
- They didn't have time to unpack before going to dinner.
* 2008 , Katrin Dohlus, The Role of Phonology and Phonetics in Loanword Adaptation , page 73
- The rounded vowels [y] and [œ/?] in Russian seem to unpack as glide-vowel sequences in words borrowed from French and German, [...]
- Whereas the high vowels /?, y/ unpack , the mid vowels /œ, ø/ are adapted as single segments in these languages (see examples in (36) for Vietnamese (Barker 1969) and (37) for Fon (Gbeto 2000)). [...]
- French /y/ ? Vietnamese /wi/
* 2011 , John A. Goldsmith, Jason Riggle, Alan C. L. Yu (editors), The Handbook of Phonological Theory :
- accu [a'ky] ? ac-quy [ak kwi]
(computing) To decompress.
* 2005 , Matthias Kalle Dalheimer, ?Matt Welsh, Running Linux
- The objective of these corpora was to check whether vowels other than nasal vowels systematically unpack in L1s that do not allow them.