Unlearn vs Forget - What's the difference?
As verbs the difference between unlearn and forget
is that unlearn
is to discard the knowledge of while forget
is to lose remembrance of.
To discard the knowledge of.
*1994 , Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom , Abacus 2010, p. 80:
*:It was another lesson from Fort Hare that I had to unlearn in Johannesburg.
To lose remembrance of.
* 1922 , (Margery Williams), (The Velveteen Rabbit)
- I have forgotten most of the things I learned in school.
To unintentionally not do, neglect.
- For at least two hours the Boy loved him, and then Aunts and Uncles came to dinner, and there was a great rustling of tissue paper and unwrapping of parcels, and in the excitement of looking at all the new presents the Velveteen Rabbit was forgotten .
To unintentionally leave something behind.
- I forgot to buy flowers for my wife at our 14th wedding anniversary.
To cease remembering.
- I forgot my car keys.
(slang) (euphemism for) fuck, screw (a mild oath).
- Let's just forget about it.
- Forget you!
* In sense 1 and 4 this is a catenative verb that takes the gerund (-ing) .
* In sense 2 this is a catenative verb that takes the to infinitive.
* obliviate, overlook, pass over, disremember
* acquire, learn, mind, recall, recollect, remember, reminisce
* forget about
* forget oneself