Chapter vs Units - What's the difference?
As nouns the difference between chapter and units
is that chapter
is one of the main sections into which the text of a book is divided while units
As a verb chapter
is to divide into chapters.
* chaptre (obsolete)
One of the main sections into which the text of a book is divided.
*:At her invitation he outlined for her the succeeding chapters with terse military accuracy?; and what she liked best and best understood was avoidance of that false modesty which condescends, turning technicality into pabulum.
A section of a social or religious body.
#An administrative division of an organization, usually local to a specific area.
#An assembly of monks, or of the prebends and other clergymen connected with a cathedral, conventual, or collegiate church, or of a diocese, usually presided over by the dean.
#A community of canons or canonesses.
#A bishop's council.
#An organized branch of some society or fraternity, such as the Freemasons.
#A meeting of certain organized societies or orders.
#A chapter house.
A sequence (of events), especially when presumed related and likely to continue.
*1866 , (Wilkie Collins), , Book the Last, Chapter I,
*:"You know that Mr. Armadale is alive," pursued the doctor, "and you know that he is coming back to England. Why do you continue to wear your widow's dress?" ¶ She answered him without an instant's hesitation, steadily going on with her work. ¶ "Because I am of a sanguine disposition, like you. I mean to trust to the chapter of accidents to the very last. Mr. Armadale may die yet, on his way home."
*1911 , (Bram Stoker), , Ch.26,
*:she determined to go on slowly towards Castra Regis, and trust to the chapter of accidents to pick up the trail again.
A decretal epistle.
(lb) A location or compartment.
*(William Shakespeare) (1564-1616)
*:In his bosom! In what chapter of his bosom?
* chapter and verse
* chapter house
* to the end of the chapter
To divide into chapters.
To put into a chapter.
To use administrative procedure to remove someone.
* 2001 , John Palmer Hawkins, Army of Hope, Army of Alienation: Culture and Contradiction in the American Army Communities of Cold War Germany ,
* 2006 , Thomas R. Schombert, Diaries of a Soldier: Nightmares from Within ,
- If you're a single parent [soldier] and you can't find someone to take care of your children, they will chapter you out [administrative elimination from the service]. And yet if you use someone not certified, they get mad.
- "He also wanted me to give you a message. He said that if you don't get your shit ready for this deployment, then he will chapter you out of his freakin' army."