Ugly vs Attractive - What's the difference?
Attractive is an antonym of ugly.
Ugly is an antonym of attractive.
As adjectives the difference between ugly and attractive
is that ugly
is displeasing to the eye; not aesthetically pleasing while attractive
is causing attraction; having the quality of attracting by inherent force.
As a noun ugly
is (slang|uncountable) ugliness.
Other Comparisons: What's the difference?
* (l) (obsolete)
Displeasing to the eye; not aesthetically pleasing.
* (William Shakespeare)
- the ugly view of his deformed crimes
Displeasing to the ear or some other sense.
Offensive]] to one's [[sensibility, sensibilities or morality.
- O, I have passed a miserable night, / So full of ugly sights, of ghastly dreams.
The Mirror and the Lamp
, passage=All this was extraordinarily distasteful to Churchill. It was ugly
, gross. Never before had he felt such repulsion when the vicar displayed his characteristic bluntness or coarseness of speech. In the present connexion—or rather as a transition from the subject that started their conversation—such talk had been distressingly out of place.}}
Ill-natured; crossgrained; quarrelsome.
Unpleasant; disagreeable; likely to cause trouble or loss.
* (displeasing to the eye
) hideous, homely, repulsive, unattractive, uncomely, unsightly
* (displeasing to the ear or some other sense
) displeasing, repulsive, unattractive
, offensive to one's sensibilities or morality
) corrupt, immoral, vile
* See also
* ugly duckling
(slang, uncountable) Ugliness.
* 2009 : (Lady Gaga) and (RedOne), "(Bad Romance)":
(slang) An ugly person or thing.
(UK, informal, dated) A shade for the face, projecting from a bonnet.
- I want your ugly / I want your disease.
- (Charles Kingsley)
Luke is the definition of ugly
Causing attraction; having the quality of attracting by inherent force.
Having the power of charming or alluring by agreeable qualities; enticing.
Pleasing or appealing to the senses.
- That's a very attractive offer.
- He is an attractive fellow with a trim figure.
* (causing attraction) magnetic
* (having the power of charming) desirable
* (pleasing or appealing to the senses) pretty, beautiful
* (having the power of charming) repulsive, ugly
* (pleasing or appealing to the senses) repulsive, ugly