An act of sexual intercourse.
* John Betjeman, Group Life: Letchworth
- I took a tumble down the stairs and broke my tooth.
* 1979 , Martine, Sexual Astrology (page 219)
- Wouldn't it be jolly now, / To take our Aertex panters off / And have a jolly tumble in / The jolly, jolly sun?
- When you've just had a tumble between the sheets and are feeling rumpled and lazy, she may want to get up so she can make the bed.
* rough and tumble
* take a tumble
* tumble dryer
* give a tumble
(lb) To fall end over end.
*(Robert South) (1634–1716)
*:He who tumbles from a tower surely has a greater blow than he who slides from a molehill.
*:“Heavens!” exclaimed Nina, “the blue-stocking and the fogy!—and yours are'' pale blue, Eileen!—you’re about as self-conscious as Drina—slumping there with your hair tumbling ''à la Mérode! Oh, it's very picturesque, of course, but a straight spine and good grooming is better.”
To perform gymnastics such as somersaults, rolls, and handsprings.
To roll over and over.
*1908 , (Kenneth Grahame), (The Wind in the Willows)
*:The two animals tumbled over each other in their eagerness to get inside, and heard the door shut behind them with great joy and relief.
(lb) To have sexual intercourse.
(lb) To smooth and polish a rough surface on relatively small parts.
To muss, to make disorderly; to tousle or rumple.
* tumble to
(Scotland) To wind, to reel.
* Author not recorded, Cumberland and Murray's Descent into Hell'', 1861, Charles Mackay (editor), ''The Jacobite Songs and Ballads of Scotland from 1688 to 1746 ,
* 1974', Austin Clarke, quoted in '''1981 , G. Craig Tapping, ''Austin Clarke: A Study of His Writings ,
- The worm of hell, which never dies, / In wintled coil writhes up and fries.
(Scotland) To stagger, to sway or rock.
(Scotland) To tumble, to capsize.
* 1901 , , 2011,
- Along the cliffs a breeze wintled .
(Scotland) To wriggle.
* 2002 , Micaela Gilchrist, The Good Journey , US,
- At a quick turn o' the road they wintled owre, and there they were, sitting on their doups in the atoms o' the gig, and glowering frae them!
- Miss Radford wintled across the floor on her bottom until she slumped beside Eloise, who rolled her eyes and bared her lower teeth.