As nouns the difference between floating and trunnion
is that floating
is (in the plural) material that floats in a liquid while trunnion
is one of the short stubby bearings on either side of a cannon; a gudgeon.
As an adjective floating
is that which floats or float.
As a verb floating
That which floats or float.
Not fixed in position, opinion etc.; free to move or drift.
- floating buoys
- The outcome of the forthcoming election is still unclear due to the large number of floating voters.
- In China, the large floating population has tended to gravitate to cities.
(linguistics, of a tone) that is not attached to any consonant or vowel within its morpheme.
- You can drag the floating toolbars to any position on the screen.
* floating point, floating-point
* floating voter
(in the plural) Material that floats in a liquid.
* 1898 , Journal of Microscopy (page 256)
- Plastic mud, brownish tinted, rich in floatings .
One of the short stubby bearings on either side of a cannon; a gudgeon.
A similar rotational bearing comprising a rotating arc or ring sliding in the groove of a stationary arc, used in machinery to allow a workpiece to be moved relative to a fixed tool.