Prophy vs Trophy - What's the difference?
As nouns the difference between prophy and trophy
is that prophy
is (informal|veterinary medicine) cleaning and polishing of an animal's teeth while trophy
Other Comparisons: What's the difference?
(informal, veterinary medicine) Cleaning and polishing of an animal's teeth.
An object, usually in the form of a statuette, cup, or shield, awarded for success in a competition or to mark a special achievement.
An object taken as a prize by a hunter or conqueror, especially one that is displayed.
- He won the trophy in a running competition.
- Around the posts hung helmets, darts, and spears, / And captive chariots, axes, shields, and bars, / And broken beaks of ships, the trophies of their wars.
Any emblem of success; a status symbol.
- The set of antlers which hung on the wall was his prized trophy .
(criminology, by extension) An object taken by a serial killer or rapist as a memento of the crime.
* 1994 , Philip Jenkins, Using Murder: The Social Construction of Serial Homicide [http://books.google.com/books?id=nhXmk3Tm-SQC], ISBN 0202305252, page 117:
- His trophies included his second wife, his successful children, the third and fourth homes in Palm Beach and Malibu, his three yachts (for the Pacific, the Atlantic, and the Mediterranean), his jet, and his mistresses.
* 2001 , R. Michael Gordon, Alias Jack the Ripper: Beyond the Usual Whitechapel Suspects [http://books.google.com/books?id=n5PWnVtQs4MC], ISBN 0786408987, page 82:
- The souvenirs which many killers retain of their victims are often described as trophies , and Norman Bates's taxidermic interests derived from the real-life Ed Gein.
* 2004 , Ronald F. Becker, Criminal Investigation [http://books.google.com/books?id=YDGaGSdjc6kC], ISBN 0763731684, page 168:
- A trophy from this murder would have been of great importance.
- The offender is also likely to mentally relive his killings, often with the help of souvenirs or trophies , such as a bracelet or a body part taken from the victim.
* trophy money
* trophy wife
* -trophy (suffix)