Tripods vs Tripodes - What's the difference?
As nouns the difference between tripods and tripodes
is that tripods
is while tripodes
As a verb tripods
* 1712 : , volume 5,
page 28: ? 327 (Saturday, March 15): Joseph Addison, “Criticism on Paradise Lost” (1729 publication)
* 1963 : The Australian University , volumes 1–2,
- THE Poet here ?eems to have regarded two or three Pa??ages in the 18th Iliad'', as that in particular, where, ?peaking of ''Vulcan'', ''Homer'' ?ays, that he had made twenty ''Tripodes , running on Golden Wheels; which, upon occa?ion, might go of them?elves to the A??embly of the Gods, and, when there was no more U?e for them, return again after the ?ame manner.
* 1964 : Proceedings of the Zoological Society of London , volume 142,
- The restriction was deliberate, for the Senate attach[ed] great importance to high distinction in the classes and tripodes of Oxford and Cambridge, from its known influence on the minds of students, and the character which it would impart to out Institution in its period of greatest trial.
page 431 (Longmans, Greens)
* 1969 : Harold James Perkin, Key Profession: The History of the Association of University Teachers ,
- Expansion of the swimbladder will be accompanied by forward movement of the free edges of the thin areas, and so by forward rotation of the tripodes'. When the swimbladder contracts, the ' tripodes will be rotated backwards by the elastic action of ligament 2.
page 22 (A. M. Kelley)
- Not only was a new race of lecturing and researching professors inaugurated, and new honours courses, such as the Moral Sciences, Natural Sciences, Theological, and Historical Tripodes at Cambridge and the serious study of mathematics and science at Oxford, introduced, but a new type of college tutor arose, typified by Oscar Browning at Cambridge and Benjamin Jowett at Oxford, dedicated to preparing their students by strenuous intellectual training not merely for scholarship but for devoted service to society outside the university.