Triad vs Triple - What's the difference?
As nouns the difference between triad and triple
is that triad
is a grouping of three while triple
is hat trick.
As a verb triple is
Other Comparisons: What's the difference?
A grouping of three.
(music) A chord consisting of a root tone, the tone two degrees higher, and the tone four degrees higher in a given scale.
(electronics) on a CRT display, a group of three neighbouring phosphor dots, coloured green, red, and blue.
A branch of a Chinese underground criminal society, mostly based in Hong Kong.
* (group of three) threesome, trine, trinity, trio, triplet, troika, triumvirate
Made up of three related elements, often matching
Three times the quantity
- The triple markings on this vase are quite unique.
Designed for three users
- Give me a triple serving of mashed potatoes.
Folded in three; composed of three layers
Having three aspects; very ambiguous.
- a triple room
(music) Of time, three times as fast as very fast.
(obsolete) One of three; third.
- a triple meaning
(informal) A drink with three portions of alcohol.
(US) A hamburger with three patties.
- I've had a hard day, make that a triple .
(baseball) A three-base hit
- I'd like a triple with cheese.
(curling) A takeout shot in which three stones are removed from play.
(mathematics, computing) A sequence of three elements or 3-tuple.
- The shortstop hit a triple to lead off the ninth.
To multiply by three
(baseball) To get a three-base hit
- The company tripled their earnings per share over last quarter.
To become three times as large
- The batter tripled into the gap.
To serve or operate as (something), in addition to two other functions.
* 1982 , Popular Mechanics, Best tools for your electronics workbench (volume 157, number 1, page 106, January 1982)
- Our earnings have tripled in the last year.
* 2011 , Mel LeCompte, The Tee Cotton Bowl
- Radio Shack's All-Purpose Crimper/Cutter ($9.95) doubles as a wire stripper and triples as a bolt cutter.
- Examination rooms contain shelves overstuffed with football helmets, autographed equipment and even rugby gear. If the office doubles as a mini-museum, it also triples as a minichapel.
* triple jump
* triple sec
* triple goddess