Astonishment vs Ton - What's the difference?
As nouns the difference between astonishment and ton
is that astonishment
is amazement, great surprise while ton
is lineage, ancestry.
Other Comparisons: What's the difference?
amazement, great surprise
An amazing thing or phenomenon.
- Everything he had seen so far--the great chocolate river, the waterfall, the huge sucking pipes, the candy meadows, the Oompa-Loompas, the beautiful pink boat, and most of all, Mr. Willy Wonka himself--had been so astonishing that he began to wonder whether there could possibly be anymore astonishments left.
Variant of .
A unit of weight (mass) equal to 2240 pounds (a long ton) or 2000 pounds (a short ton) or 1000 kilograms (a metric ton).
A unit of volume; register ton.
In refrigeration and air conditioning, a unit of thermal power defined as 12,000 BTU/ (about 3.514 kW or 3024 kcal/h), originally the rate of cooling provided by uniform isothermal melting of one short ton of ice per day at 32 °F (0 °C).
(colloquial, hyperbole) A large amount.
- I’ve got a ton of work to do.
(slang) A speed of 100 mph.
(slang) One hundred pounds sterling.
(cricket) One hundred runs.
(darts) One hundred points.
- I've got tons of work to do.
* (large amount) heap, load, pile
* (one-hundred runs) century
* See also
* displacement ton
* long ton
* measurement ton
* metric ton (tonne)
* register ton
* short ton
From (etyl) , from (etyl) tonus.
Fashion, the current style, the vogue.
Fashionable society; those in style.
- If our people of ton are selfish, at any rate they show they are selfish.
The common tunny, or house mackerel.