Helen vs Tina - What's the difference?
As a proper noun helen
is , a french type variant of helena.
As an initialism tina is
there is no alternative (a political slogan of ).
(Greek mythology) the daughter of Zeus and Leda, considered to be the most beautiful woman in the world; her abduction by Paris brought about the Trojan War.
* 1602 William Shakespeare, Troilus and Cressida , Act I, Scene I
- Fools on both sides! Helen must needs be fair,
* 1928 , The Mystery of the Blue Train
- When with your blood you daily paint her thus.
- "Is her name Ellen or Helen , Miss Viner? I thought - "
- Miss Viner closed her eyes.
* 1993 , The Fourteen Sisters of Emilio Montez O'Brien , ISBN 0-14-023028-9, page 6:
- "I can sound my h's, dear, as well as anyone, but Helen is not a suitable name for a servant. I don't know what the mothers in the lower classes are coming to nowadays."
* 2003 , A Share in Death'', HarperCollins, ISBN 0060534389, page 189
- - - - in 1910 she brought Helen' into the world, the little female, or "''mujercita''", as her mother called all the babies, naming her after the glittery label on a facial ointment, The ' Helen of Troy Beauty Pomade, said to eradicate wrinkles, to soften and add a youthful glow to the user's skin - a fortuitous choice because, of all the sisters, she would be the most beautiful and, never growing old, would always possess the face of a winsome adolescent beauty.
- Gemma followed her, thinking that Helen seemed rather an old-fashioned and elegant name for this rumpled young mother.
(en proper noun
A lake in Alaska, near/around Anchorage.