Slate vs Ticket - What's the difference?
As nouns the difference between slate and ticket
is that slate
is (uncountable) a fine-grained homogeneous sedimentary rock composed of clay or volcanic ash which has been metamorphosed so that it cleaves easily into thin layers while ticket
As an adjective slate
is having the bluish-grey/gray colour/color of slate.
As a verb slate
is to cover with slate.
(uncountable) A fine-grained homogeneous sedimentary rock composed of clay or volcanic ash which has been metamorphosed so that it cleaves easily into thin layers.
(uncountable) The bluish-grey colour of most slate.
(countable) A sheet of slate for writing on with chalk.
(countable) A tile made of slate.
(countable) A record of money owed.
(countable) A list of affiliated candidates for an election.
- Put it on my slate – I’ll pay you next week.
An artificial material resembling slate and used for the same purposes.
A thin plate of any material; a flake.
- Roy Disney led the alternative slate of directors for the stockholder vote.
* slate grey, slate gray
* (record of money owed) account, bill
* clean slate
* on the slate
* wipe the slate clean
Having the bluish-grey/gray colour/color of slate.
* slate black
* slate blue
* slate gray/slate grey
* slate pencil
* slate-coloured junco
To cover with slate.
(chiefly, British) To criticise harshly.
- The old church ledgers show that the roof was slated in 1775.
(chiefly, US) To schedule.
- The play was slated by the critics.
(chiefly, US) To destine or strongly expect.
- The election was slated for November 2nd.
To punish severely.
- The next version of our software is slated to be the best release ever.
- The boy was slated by his own mom for disobeying her.
A pass entitling the holder to admission to a show, concert, etc.
A pass entitling the holder to board a train, a bus, a plane, or other means of transportation
A citation for a traffic violation.
A permit to operate a machine on a construction site.
A service request, used to track complaints or requests that an issue be handled. (Generally Internet Service Provider related).
(informal) A list of candidates for an election, or a particular theme to a candidate's manifesto.
- Joe has joined the party's ticket for the county elections.
A solution to a problem; something that is needed.
- Joe will be running on an anti-crime ticket .
- That's the ticket .
- I saw my first bike as my ticket to freedom.
, author=Mark Twain
, title=Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
, passage="Here's the ticket
. This hole's big enough for Jim to get through if we wrench off the board."}}
(dated) A little note or notice.
(dated) A tradesman's bill or account (hence the phrase on ticket'' and eventually ''on tick ).
* J. Cotgrave
- He constantly read his lectures twice a week for above forty years, giving notice of the time to his auditors in a ticket on the school doors.
A label affixed to goods to show their price or description.
A certificate or token of a share in a lottery or other scheme for distributing money, goods, etc.
- Your courtier is mad to take up silks and velvets / On ticket for his mistress.
* automatic ticket sampling machine
* golden ticket
* have tickets on oneself
* lottery ticket
* one-way ticket
* that's the ticket
* ticket machine
* write one's own ticket
To issue someone a ticket, as for travel or for a violation of a local or traffic law.
* ticket off