Opinion vs Thoughts - What's the difference?
| Related terms
Opinion is a related term of thoughts.
As nouns the difference between opinion and thoughts
is that opinion
is opinion while thoughts
Other Comparisons: What's the difference?
A belief that a person has formed about a topic or issue.
- I would like to know your opinions on the new systems.
- In my opinion , white chocolate is better than milk chocolate.
- Every man is a fool in some man's opinion .
The judgment or sentiment which the mind forms of persons or things; estimation.
* 1606 , , I. vii. 32:
- Truth, in matters of religion, is simply the opinion that has survived. -
- I have bought golden opinions from all sorts of people.
(obsolete) Favorable estimation; hence, consideration; reputation; fame; public sentiment or esteem.
* 1597 , , V. iv. 47:
- Friendship gives a man a peculiar right and claim to the good opinion of his friend.
- Thou hast redeemed thy lost opinion .
(obsolete) Obstinacy in holding to one's belief or impression; opiniativeness; conceitedness.
* 1590 , , V. i. 5:
- This gained Agricola much opinion , who enterprises.
The formal decision, or expression of views, of a judge, an umpire, a doctor, or other party officially called upon to consider and decide upon a matter or point submitted.
(European Union law) a judicial opinion delivered by an Advocate General to the European Court of Justice where he or she proposes a legal solution to the cases for which the court is responsible
- Your reasons at / dinner have been sharp and sententious, pleasant / without scurrility, witty without affection, audacious / without impudency, learned without opinion , and / strange without heresy.
* advisory opinion
* be of the opinion
* in my humble opinion/IMHO
* in my opinion
* in one's opinion
* opinion poll
* public opinion
* scientific opinion
* second opinion
(archaic) To have or express as an opinion.
* 1658', But if (as some '''opinion ) King ''Ahasuerus'' were ''Artaxerxes Mnemon'' [...], our magnified ''Cyrus'' was his second Brother — Sir Thomas Browne, ''The Graden of Cyrus (Folio Society 2007, p. 166)