From (etyl) shine, from (etyl) scinu, from (etyl) . Cognate with West Frisian skine, Dutch scheen, German Schiene.
The front part of the leg below the knee; the front edge of the shin bone.
A fishplate for a railway.
To climb a mast, tree, rope, or the like, by embracing it alternately with the arms and legs, without help of steps, spurs, or the like.
To strike with the shin.
- to shin up a mast
, date=January 5
, author=Mark Ashenden
, title=Wolverhampton 1 - 0 Chelsea
, passage=The warning signs had been there as Peter Cech had already had to palm away a stinging shot from Ronald Zubar but immediately afterwards the Blues goalkeeper could only watch in horror as defender Boswinga shinned
the ball into his own net from Hunt's corner. }}
(US, slang) To run about borrowing money hastily and temporarily, as when trying to make a payment.
* shinny (US)
* shin bone
* shin leaf
* shin splints
Ultimately from (etyl) . Compare Shamash.
The twenty-first letter of many Semitic alphabets/abjads (Phoenician, Aramaic, Hebrew, Syriac, Arabic and others).
The upper leg of a human, between the hip and the knee.
* c. 1595 , (William Shakespeare), Romeo and Juliet :
* 1800 , (Jane Austen), letter, 8 Nov 1800:
- I coniure thee by Rosalines bright eyes, By her High forehead, and her Scarlet lip, By her Fine foote, Straight leg, and Quiuering thigh , And the Demeanes, that there Adiacent lie, That in thy likenesse thou appeare to vs.
* 1991 , (Kathy Lette), The Llama Parlour :
- About ten days ago, in cocking a pistol in the guard-room at Marcau, he accidentally shot himself through the Thigh .
* 2011 , The Guardian , 31 Mar 2011:
- ‘Why not pay up now, kiddo?’ he suggested magnanimously, patting me on the thigh .
That part of the leg of vertebrates (or sometimes other animals) which corresponds to the human thigh in position or function; the tibia of a horse, the tarsus of a bird; the third leg-section of an insect.
* 2009 , Fred Thompson, Grillin' with Gas :
- The 23-year-old was substituted in the 75th minute of France's goalless friendly draw with Croatia on Tuesday after suffering an injury to his thigh .
* 2011 , Ian Sample, The Guardian , 23 Feb 2011:
- Add the chicken thighs , close the bag, and squish the marinade to coat the chicken.
- The newly discovered dinosaur Brontomerus mcintoshi may have used its huge muscular thighs to kick predators and rivals.
* thigh pad
* thunder thighs