Essence vs Thesis - What's the difference?
| Related terms
Essence is a related term of thesis.
As nouns the difference between essence and thesis
is that essence
)the inherent nature of a thing or idea while thesis
is a statement supported by arguments.
(senseid)The inherent nature of a thing or idea.
- The laws are at present, both in form and essence , the greatest curse that society labours under.
- Gifts and alms are the expressions, not the essence of this virtue [charity].
(philosophy) The true nature of anything, not accidental or illusory.
- The essence of Addison's humour is irony.
A being; especially, a purely spiritual being.
- Uncompounded is their essence pure.
* Washington Irving
- As far as gods and heavenly essences / Can perish.
A significant feature of something.
The concentrated form of a plant or drug obtained through a distillation process.
* essence of Jojoba
Fragrance, a perfume.
* Alexander Pope
- He had been indulging in fanciful speculations on spiritual essences , until he had an ideal world of his own around him.
- Nor let the essences exhale.
* in essence
* of the essence; time is of the essence
A statement supported by arguments.
A written essay, especially one submitted for a university degree.
(logic) An affirmation, or distinction from a supposition or hypothesis.
(music) The accented part of the measure, expressed by the downward beat; the opposite of arsis.
(poetry) The depression of the voice in pronouncing the syllables of a word.
(poetry) The part of the metrical foot upon which such a depression falls.
- I told them of the grave, becoming, and sublime deportment they should assume upon this mystical occasion, and read them two homilies and a thesis of my own composing, to prepare them.
* master's thesis
* doctoral thesis