A primate of the clade Hominoidea, generally larger than monkeys and distinguished from them by having no tail.
Any such primate other than a human.
(derogatory) An uncivilised person.
* See also
* go ape
* naked ape
To behave like an ape.
To imitate; mimic.
* 1961 , J. A. Philip, "Mimesis in the Sophistês'' of Plato," ''Transactions and Proceedings of the American Philological Association , vol. 92, p. 454,
- It is not conceived as a mere “aping ” in externals nor as an enacting in the sense of assuming a foreign role.
- We were ape over the new look.
- He went ape when he heard the bad news.
* troop (collective noun)
Flexible material in a roll with a sticky surface on one or both sides; adhesive tape.
Thin and flat paper, plastic or similar flexible material, usually produced in the form of a roll.
- Hand me some tape . I need to fix a tear in this paper.
Finishing tape, stretched across a track to mark the end of a race.
- After the party there was tape all over the place.
Magnetic or optical recording media in a roll; videotape or audio tape.
- Jones broke the tape in 47.77 seconds, a new world record.
Unthinking, patterned response triggered by a particular stimulus
- Did you get that on tape ?
(trading , from ticker tape) The series of prices at which a financial instrument trades.
- Old couples sometimes will play tapes at each other during a fight.
(ice hockey) The wrapping of the primary puck-handling surface of a hockey stick
- Don’t fight the tape .
- His pass was right on the tape .
* adhesive tape
* cassette tape
* cut red tape
* double-sided tape
* duck tape
* duck tape
* duct tape
* gaffer tape
* gray tape
* magnetic tape
* masking tape
* on tape
* police tape
* red tape
* scotch tape
* sex tape
* tale of the tape
* tape measure
* tape recorder
* ticker tape
* sticky tape
* video tape
To bind with adhesive tape.
To record, particularly onto magnetic tape.
- Can you tape that together, please?
(informal, passive) To understand, figure out.
- You shouldn’t have said that. The microphone was on and we were taping.
- I've finally got this thing taped.