A long, thin, sharp implement usually for piercing such as sewing, or knitting, acupuncture, tattooing, body piercing, medical injections etc.
Any slender, pointed object resembling a needle, such as a pointed crystal, a sharp pinnacle of rock, an obelisk, etc.
A long, thin device for indicating measurements on a dial or graph, e.g. a compass needle .
- The seamstress threaded the needle to sew on a button.
A sensor for playing phonograph records, a phonograph stylus.
- The needle on the fuel gauge pointed to empty.
A long, pointed leaf found on some conifers.
* 1994 , , ch. 2:
- Ziggy bought some diamond needles for his hi-fi phonograph.
(informal, usually preceded by the) The death penalty carried out by lethal injection.
- At the very moment he cried out, David realised that what he had run into was only the Christmas tree. Disgusted with himself at such cowardice, he spat a needle from his mouth.
* compass needle
* knitting needle
* needlenose pliers
* on pins and needles
* move the needle
* packing needle
* pine needle
* pins and needles
* needle in a haystack
To pierce with a needle, especially for sewing or acupuncture.
* 1892 , H. Lindo Ferguson, "Operation on Microphthamlmic Eyes", Ophthalmic Review? , volume 11, page 48
* 2000 , Felix Mann, Reinventing Acupuncture , page 109
- the eyes were once more beginning to show the old nystagmus; so I decided to needle' the cataracts, and on Jan. 31 I ' needled the right eye.
To tease in order to provoke; to poke fun at.
- Possibly the greatest effect is achieved in the hand by needling the thumb, the index finger and the region of the 1st and 2nd metacarpal.
* 1984 , Leopold Caligor, Philip M. Bromberg, & James D. Meltzer, Clinical Perspectives on the Supervision of Psychoanalysis and Psychotherapy? , page 14
- Billy needled his sister incessantly about her pimples.
To form in the shape of a needle.
- FRED: Well, I teased her to some extent, or I needled' her, not teased her. I ' needled her about—first I said that she didn't want to work, and then I think that there were a couple of comments.
- to needle crystals
* (to tease) goad, tease
Not English Syringeampamp has no English definition. It may be misspelled.