As nouns the difference between signifier and symbol
is that signifier
is (linguistics) the sound of spoken word or string of letters on a page that a person recognizes as a sign while symbol
(linguistics) The sound of spoken word or string of letters on a page that a person recognizes as a sign.
A character or glyph representing an idea, concept or object.
- $ is the symbol for dollars in the US and some other countries.
- ' is the octothorpe symbol .
- ''Chinese people use word symbols for writing.
Any object, typically material, which is meant to represent another (usually abstract) even if there is no meaningful relationship.
- The lion is the symbol''' of courage; the lamb is the '''symbol of meekness or patience.
(linguistics) A type of noun whereby the form refers to the same entity independently of the context; a symbol arbitrarily denotes a referent. See also icon and index.
A summary of a dogmatic statement of faith.
- The dollar symbol has no relationship to the concept of currency or any related idea.
Visible traces or impressions, made using a writing device or tool, that are connected together and/or are slightly separated. Sometimes symbols represent objects or events that occupy space or things that are not physical and do not occupy space.
(crystallography) The numerical expression which defines a plane's position relative to the assumed axes.
That which is thrown into a common fund; hence, an appointed or accustomed duty.
* Jeremy Taylor
- The Apostles, Nicene Creed and the confessional books of Protestantism, such as the Augsburg Confession of Lutheranism are considered symbols .
* Jeremy Taylor
- They do their work in the days of peace and come to pay their symbol in a war or in a plague.
- The persons who are to be judged shall all appear to receive their symbol .
* status symbol
* typographical symbol