Sunset is a synonym of sundown.
As nouns the difference between sundown and sunset
is that sundown
is sunset while sunset
is the time of day when the sun disappears below the western horizon.
As a verb sunset is
to phase out.
- We'll meet by the pier at sundown ; don't forget to bring your kazoo.
The time of day when the sun disappears below the western horizon.
The changes in color of the sky at sunset.
(figuratively) The final period of the life of a person or thing.
- 'Tis the sunset of life gives me mystical lore.
(attributively) Having a set termination date.
- one's sunset years
The region where the sun sets; the west.
- The tax increase legislation included a sunset clause requiring renewal to prevent the tax increase from expiring.
* (time) dusk, sundown (US), nightfall, twilight
* (change in color of the sky at sunset)
* (final period of life) end, final act, swansong
* last, terminal, twilight
* sunset shell
* sunset years
(business, politics, transitive) To phase out.
- We'll be sunsetting version 1.9 of the software shortly after releasing version 2.0 next quarter.