As nouns the difference between vary and summary
is that vary
is (obsolete) alteration; change while summary
is an abstract or a condensed presentation of the substance of a body of material.
As a verb vary
is to change with time or a similar parameter.
As an adjective summary is
concise, brief or presented in a condensed form.
To change with time or a similar parameter.
To institute a change in, from a current state; to modify.
- He varies his magic tricks so as to minimize the possibility that any given audience member will see the same trick twice.
- You should vary your diet. Eating just bread will do you harm in the end.
- Gods, that never change their state, / Vary oft their love and hate.
Not to remain constant: to change with time or a similar parameter.
- We are to vary the customs according to the time and country where the scene of action lies.
- His mood varies by the hour.
- The sine function varies between &
- x2212;1 and 1.
(of the members of a group) To display differences.
- While fear and anger, with alternate grace, / Pant in her breast, and vary in her face.
To be or act different from the usual.
- ''The sprouting tendency of potatoes varies between cultivars, years and places of growing.
To make of different kinds; to make different from one another; to diversity; to variegate.
* Sir Thomas Browne
- I'm not comfortable with
3.Nc3 in the Caro-Kann, so I decided to vary and play
- God hath varied their inclinations.
(music) To embellish; to change fancifully; to present under new aspects, as of form, key, measure, etc. See variation .
(obsolete) To disagree; to be at variance or in dissension.
* Webster (1623)
- God hath here / Varied his bounty so with new delights.
- the rich jewel which we vary for
(obsolete) Alteration; change.
Concise, brief or presented in a condensed form
Performed speedily and without formal ceremony.
- A summary review is in the appendix.
(legal) Performed by cutting the procedures of a standard and fair trial.
- They used summary executions to break the resistance of the people.
- Summary justice is bad justice.
An abstract or a condensed presentation of the substance of a body of material.
* upshot, bottom line, short form (slang)
* executive summary
* management summary