Stud vs Sud - What's the difference?
As nouns the difference between stud and sud
is that stud
is a male animal, especially a stud horse (stallion), kept for breeding or stud
can be a small object that protrudes from something; an ornamental knob while sud
As a verb stud
is to set with ; to furnish with studs.
Other Comparisons: What's the difference?
A male animal, especially a stud horse (stallion), kept for breeding.
A female animal, especially a studmare (broodmare), kept for breeding.
A group of such animals.
* Sir W. Temple
- He had the finest stud in England, and his delight was to win plates from Tories.
An animal (usually livestock) that has been registered and is retained for breeding.
A place, such as a ranch, where such animals are kept.
(colloquial) A sexually attractive male; also a lover in great demand.
- In the studs of Ireland, where care is taken, we see horses bred of excellent shape, vigour, and size.
* (sexually attractive male) he-man, hunk
* (male animal) sire
* stud puppy
(etyl) studu .
A small object that protrudes from something; an ornamental knob.
- a collar with studs
- A belt of straw and ivy buds, / With coral clasps and amber studs .
(jewelry) A small round earring.
- Crystal and myrrhine cups, embossed with gems / And studs of pearl.
(construction) A vertical post, especially one of the small uprights in the framing for lath and plaster partitions, and furring, and upon which the laths are nailed.
(obsolete) A stem; a trunk.
- She's wearing studs in her ears.
(poker) A type of poker where an individual cannot throw cards away and some of her cards are exposed (also stud poker).
(engineering) A short rod or pin, fixed in and projecting from something, and sometimes forming a journal.
(engineering) A stud bolt.
An iron brace across the shorter diameter of the link of a chain cable.
- Seest not this same hawthorn stud ?
To set with ; to furnish with studs.
To be scattered over the surface of (something) at intervals.
* 2012 , Antony Cooke, Dark Nebulae, Dark Lanes, and Dust Belts , page 82:
To set (something) over a surface at intervals.
* 2010 , Rose Levy Beranbaum, Rose's Heavenly Cakes :
- [S]eemingly countless young hot stars stud the entire huge central region[.]
- Stud the cake all over with chocolate chips, pointed ends in.
(informal) A bubble of lather or foam (the singular of suds).