* 1994 , "The acid House", Irvine Welsh, in Eurotrash :
- "...fucked-up Yank who's too screwed up to lift a forkful of scran into her gub ?"
* (mouth) gob
(slang) To defeat.
- ''We just got gubbed 5-1.
* (l), (l)
Shortened form of any of various words beginning sub- , such as submarine, subroutine, substitute, subscription.
The sandwich is so called because the bun's cylindrical shape resembles the shape of a submarine.
A submarine sandwich—a sandwich made on a long bun.
(US, informal) A substitute.
- We can get subs at that deli.
- With the score 4 to 1, they brought in subs .
(British, informal) A substitute in a football (soccer) game: someone who comes on in place of another player part way through the game.
* 1930 , Boy's Live, Philip Scruggs, There Can Be Victory ,
- She worked as a sub until she got her teaching certificate.
(British, informal, often in plural) Short for subscription: a payment made for membership of a club, etc.
(informal) A submissive in BDSM practices.
* 2004 , Paul Baker, Fantabulosa: A Dictionary of Polari and Gay Slang?
- At any other school you would be playing varsity, and Wallace has you pigeon-holed on the subs'." "Maybe he has his reasons," Jim replied. "And he hasn't pigeon-holed me on the ' subs yet — not this season.
* 2007 , Laurell K Hamilton, The Harlequin
- ...roleplay where a sub or bottom takes care of a top's bodily and hygiene needs...
* 2008 , Lannie Rose, How to Change Your Sex
- "It means that I'm both a sub and a dom." "Submissive and dominant," I said. He nodded.
(Internet, informal) A subtitle.
- Typically a dom and a sub have a more or less standard routine that they like to go through all the time.
(computing, programming) A subroutine (sometimes one that does not return a value, as distinguished from a function, which does).
* 2002 , Nathan Patwardhan, Ellen Siever, Stephen Spainhour, Perl in a nutshell
- I've just noticed a mistake in the subs for this film.
* 2004 , P. K. McBride, Introductory Visual Basic.NET (page 49)
- The default accessor can be overridden by declaring a sub of the same name in the package.
(colloquial, dated) A subordinate.
(colloquial, dated) A subaltern.
- So far, all the subs and functions that we have used have been those built into the system, or those written to handle events from controls...
* (submarine sandwich) grinder, hoagie
* (submarine sandwich) sandwich
(US, informal) To substitute for.
(US, informal) To work as a substitute teacher, especially in primary and secondary education.
(British, informal, football) To replace (a player) with a substitute.
(British, informal, football) Less commonly, and often as sub on , to bring on (a player) as a substitute.
- He never really made a contribution to the match, so it was no surprise when he was subbed at half time.
(British) To perform the work of a subeditor or copy editor; to subedit.
(UK, slang, transitive) To lend.
* 2011 , Rowland Rivron, What the F*** Did I Do Last Night?
- ''He was subbed on half way through the second half, and scored within minutes.
(slang) To subscribe.
(BDSM) To take a submissive role.
* Alicia White, Jessica's Breakdown (page 53)
- I kept up the pleasantries as we were drying our hands and, realizing I didn't have any change for the lodger, I asked him, one drummer to another like, if he could sub me a quid for the dish.
* 2012 , Tiffany Reisz, Little Red Riding Crop
- You've never subbed before. Jessica will be expecting a man on stage that follows orders and enjoys what she's going to be doing. Do you want to be spanked? Possibly whipped?
- Wasn't like she'd never subbed before. She'd been a sub longer than she'd been a Dominatrix–ten years she'd spent in a collar.
From (etyl) sub.
To coat with a layer of adhering material; to planarize by means of such a coating.
(microscopy) To prepare (a slide) with an layer of transparent substance to support and/or fix the sample.
* 1997 , Marina A. Lynch, S. M. O'Mara (editors), Ali D. Hames, D. Rickwood (series editors), Neuroscience Labfax ,
- Ensure that gloves are worn when handling subbed' slides. Although the following protocol describes '''subbing with gelatin, slides may also be coated with either 3-(triethoxysilyl-)propylamine (TESPA) or poly-L-lysine for ''in situ hybridization.
* switch (one who is willing to take either a sadistic or a masochistic role)