Incompetence vs Stupid - What's the difference?
As nouns the difference between incompetence and stupid
is that incompetence
is incompetence while stupid
is a stupid person; a fool.
As an adjective stupid is
lacking in intelligence or exhibiting the quality of having been done by someone lacking in intelligence.
As an adverb stupid is
Other Comparisons: What's the difference?
Inability to perform; lack of competence; ineptitude.
- ... at the head of a crew, too, chiefly made up of mongrel renegades, and castaways, and cannibals--morally enfeebled also, by the incompetence of mere unaided virtue or right-mindedness in Starbuck
- Winston did not know why Withers had been disgraced. Perhaps it was for corruption or incompetence . Perhaps Big Brother was merely getting rid of a too-popular subordinate.
- The factory where she worked was a poisonous mass of incompetence , favoritism, and sabotage.
Lacking in intelligence or exhibiting the quality of having been done by someone lacking in intelligence.
To the point of stupor.
- Because it's a big stupid jellyfish!
(archaic) Characterized by or in a state of stupor; paralysed.
* 1702 Alexander Pope, Sappho 128:
- Neurobiology bores me stupid .
(archaic) Lacking sensation; inanimate; destitute of consciousness; insensate.
* 1744 George Berkeley, Siris §190:
- No sigh to rise, no tear had pow'r to flow, Fix'd in a stupid lethargy of woe.
- Were it not for [fire], the whole wou'd be one great stupid inanimate mass.
(slang) damn, annoying, darn
- That dunk was stupid! His head was above the rim!
- I fell over the stupid wire.
* dense, dumb, retarded, unintelligent
* (especially in the Caribbean) stupidy
* See also
(slang, dated) Extremely.
- My gear is stupid fly.
A stupid person; a fool.
* 1910 , , ‘The Strategist’, Reginald in Russia :
* 1922 , Elizabeth G. Young, Homestead ranch
- ‘You stupid !’ screamed the girls, ‘we've got to guess the word.’
* 1996 , Anita Rau Badamim, Tamarind Mem
- "What a stupid I am!" Harry exclaimed, as she watched the man ride away in the distance.
1000 English basic words
- At least those stupids got their money's worth out of this country before they burnt their lungs out.