As nouns the difference between endemic and streamertail
is that endemic
is an individual or species that is endemic to a region while streamertail
is any of various hummingbirds of the genus trochilus
, endemic to jamaica, with greatly elongated rectrices in the males.
As an adjective endemic
is native to a particular area or culture; originating where it occurs.
* endemick (obsolete)
Native to a particular area or culture; originating where it occurs.
(Especially of plants and animals.) Peculiar to a particular area or region; not found in other places.
- Kangaroos are endemic to Australia.
(Especially of diseases.) Prevalent in a particular area or region.
- The endemic religion of Easter Island arrived with the Polynesian settlers.
* 1998 , Gillian Catriona Ramchand, Deconstructing the Lexicon , in Miriam Butt and Wilhelm Geuder, eds. “The Projection of Arguments”
- Malaria is endemic to the tropics.
- These problems are endemic to the theory of thematic roles as currently conceived, because the classification it implies simply does not correspond to legitimate linguistic semantic definitions.
disease is one which is constantly present in a given area, though usually at low levels, whereas an epidemic is widespread and has a high incidence. A sporadic disease occurs now and then at low levels.
* (English Citations of "endemic"
* (native to a particular area) native
* (peculiar to a particular area) indigenous
* (native to a particular area) alien, introduced
* (localized) systemic
An individual or species that is endemic to a region.
* 2004 , (Richard Fortey), The Earth , Folio Society 2011, p. 34:
- The species that appeared as a consequence were endemics ; that is, they were found nowhere else in the world.
Any of various hummingbirds of the genus Trochilus , endemic to Jamaica, with greatly elongated rectrices in the males.