Traditional vs Stovies - What's the difference?
As an adjective traditional
is of or pertaining to tradition; derived from tradition; communicated from ancestors to descendants by word only; transmitted from age to age without writing; as, traditional opinions; traditional customs; traditional expositions of the scriptures.
As a noun stovies is
a traditional scottish dish of stewed potatoes and onions with cold meat.
Of or pertaining to tradition; derived from tradition; communicated from ancestors to descendants by word only; transmitted from age to age without writing; as, traditional opinions; traditional customs; traditional expositions of the Scriptures.
Observant of tradition; attached to old customs; old-fashioned.
In lieu of the name of the composer of a piece of music, whose real name is lost in the mists of time.
- I think her traditional values are antiquated .
* nontraditional, non-traditional
A traditional Scottish dish of stewed potatoes and onions with cold meat.
* 1975 , Amy Stewart Fraser, Dae Ye Min? Langsyne?: A Pot-Pourri of Games, Rhymes, and Ploys of Scottish Childhood ,
* 2008 , Alan Bews, One Boy?s Dinner Please ,
- At home, after the fun of Dookin? for Apples was over we sat round a huge dish of delicious stovies', which had cooked very slowly on the top of the stove in a covered pan, with salt and pepper and knobs of butter. Threepenny bits and charms were hidden in the ' stovies .
* 2012 , Jessie Macquarrie, Camus Calling , AuthorHouse UK,
- During the winter months my granny always made me stovies' on a Saturday and she would spoon them on top of the hot pie and I would sit at a table in front of the fire eating contentedly and thinking about the films I had seen that morning. ' Stovies , as my grandmother made them, were potatoes and onions cut into pieces and cooked slowly in a pan with only a covering of water at the bottom of the pan, a tablespoonful of roast beef dripping and some salt and pepper. They were delicious.
- They accepted her offer graciously, not having a clue what ‘stovies'’ might be. Meg soon explained that ' stovies was a traditional hearty scots meal made from potatoes, onions and left over meat served as a stew.