A violent collision or compression; a crash; destruction; ruin.
Violent pressure, as of a moving crowd.
Crowd which produces uncomfortable pressure.
- the wreck of matter, and the crush of worlds
A violent crowding
A crowd control barrier
A short-lived infatuation or affection for.
The human object of infatuation or affection.
* 2004 , , Character: Profiles in Presidential Courage
- A crush at a reception.
A standing stock or cage with movable sides used to restrain livestock for safe handling
A party, festive function
* 1890 ch 1
- It had taken nine years from the evening that first showed up with a pie plate at her mother's door, but his dogged perseverance eventually won him the hand of his boyhood Sunday school crush .
(Australia) The process of crushing cane to remove the raw sugar, or the season that this process takes place in.
- Two months ago I went to a crush at Lady Brandon's.
* crush hat
* crush room
* girl crush
* man crush
To press or bruise between two hard bodies; to squeeze, so as to destroy the natural shape or integrity of the parts, or to force together into a mass.
- to crush grapes
To reduce to fine particles by pounding or grinding; to comminute.
- Ye shall not offer unto the Lord that which is bruised, crushed , broken or cut. --Lev. xxii.
* 1912 , (Edgar Rice Burroughs), (Tarzan of the Apes), Chapter 1
- to crush quartz
To overwhelm by pressure or weight; to beat or force down, as by an incumbent weight.
- With a wild scream he was upon her, tearing a great piece from her side with his mighty teeth, and striking her viciously upon her head and shoulders with a broken tree limb until her skull was crushed to a jelly.
To oppress or burden grievously.
To overcome completely; to subdue totally.
- ''After the corruption scandal, the opposition crushed the ruling party in the elections
* Sir Walter Scott
- The sultan's black guard crushed every resistance bloodily.
To be or become broken down or in, or pressed into a smaller compass, by external weight or force
- speedily overtaking and crushing the rebels
To feel infatuation with or unrequited love for.
- an eggshell crushes easily
(sports) to defeat emphatically
- She's crushing on him.
, date=November 11
, author=Rory Houston
, title=Estonia 0-4 Republic of Ireland
, work=RTE Sport
, passage=A stunning performance from the Republic of Ireland all but sealed progress to Euro 2012 as they crushed
nine-man Estonia 4-0 in the first leg of the qualifying play-off tie in A Le Coq Arena in Tallinn.}}
* crush on
* crush out
* crushed sugar
* crushed velvet
(cookware) A cooking appliance that cooks by steaming.
A vessel in which articles are subjected to the action of steam, as in washing, and in various processes of manufacture.
A vessel propelled by steam; a steamship or steamboat.
A steam-powered road locomotive; a traction engine.
A wetsuit which has long sleeves and long legs.
A dish of steamed clams.
Any species of the duck genus Tachyeres , of which all four species occur in South America, and three are flightless.
(Australia, food, obsolete) A food made by cooking diced meat very slowly in a tightly sealed pot, with a minimum of flavourings, allowing it to steam in its own juices; popular circa 1850 but apparently no longer so by the 1900s .
* “Melville”, Australia'', quoted in 1864''', Edward Abbott, ''The English and Australian Cookery Book: Cookery for the Many, as Well as for the ‘Upper Ten Thousand’'', London, in turn quoted in '''1998 , Colin Bannerman, et al., ''Acquired Tastes: Celebrating Australia?s Culinary History , (publisher), ISBN 0-642-10693-2, page 14,
(obsolete) A steam fire engine, a fire engine consisting of a steam boiler and engine, and pump which is driven by the engine, combined and mounted on wheels (Webster 1913).
(horse racing) A horse whose odds are decreasing (becoming shorter) because bettors are backing it.
(UK, crime, slang) Member of a youth gang who engages in robbing and escaping as a large group.
(UK, sex, slang) Oral sex performed on a man.
(UK, slang) A homosexual man with a preference for passive partners.
(UK, crime, slang) A prostitute's client.
(US, gambling, slang) A gambler who increases a wager after losing.
(UK, Scotland, slang) A drinking session.
- Of all the dishes ever brought to table, nothing equals that of the steamer .
* Cleveland steamer
* steamer chair