Wormhole vs Stargate - What's the difference?
As nouns the difference between wormhole and stargate
is that wormhole
is a hole burrowed by a worm while stargate
is (neologism|scifi) a hypothetical device consisting of a traversable portal (typically a wormhole) that can send one to another location light years away nearly instantaneously.
* worme-hole (obsolete)
a hole burrowed by a worm
(relativity) A hypothetical shortcut between two points in spacetime, permitting faster-than-light travel and sometimes time travel.
- To fill with worme-holes stately monuments.
* (a spacetime construct) Einstein-Rosen bridge
(neologism, scifi) A hypothetical device consisting of a traversable portal (typically a wormhole) that can send one to another location light years away nearly instantaneously.
* 2000 , David Hatcher Childress, Technology of the Gods
* 2001 , William R Alschuler, Howard Zimmerman, The Science of UFOs
- Find examples of stargates and wormholes in the ancient world...
* 2002 , Richard Leviton, The Galaxy on Earth: A Traveler's Guide to the Planet's Visionary Geography
- Perhaps the first clear depiction of a stargate is to be found in Robert Heinlein's classic novel Tunnel in the Sky ...
* 2003 , Albert A Harrison, After Contact: The Human Response to Extraterrestrial Life
- A stargate' takes you to that star or constellation. ... The opening of a ' stargate requires the participation of the Archangel Michael...
* 2004 , Stephanie Relfe, The Mars Force Book 2
- At some point it might be possible to devise a "stargate" such as depicted in the movies 2001: A Space Odyssey'' and ''Stargate ...
- With a stargate', travel is instantaneous. It is quite possible that the secret government either has a ' stargate or is trying to get one.