A pass entitling the holder to admission to a show, concert, etc.
A pass entitling the holder to board a train, a bus, a plane, or other means of transportation
A citation for a traffic violation.
A permit to operate a machine on a construction site.
A service request, used to track complaints or requests that an issue be handled. (Generally Internet Service Provider related).
(informal) A list of candidates for an election, or a particular theme to a candidate's manifesto.
- Joe has joined the party's ticket for the county elections.
A solution to a problem; something that is needed.
- Joe will be running on an anti-crime ticket .
- That's the ticket .
- I saw my first bike as my ticket to freedom.
, author=Mark Twain
, title=Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
, passage="Here's the ticket
. This hole's big enough for Jim to get through if we wrench off the board."}}
(dated) A little note or notice.
(dated) A tradesman's bill or account (hence the phrase on ticket'' and eventually ''on tick ).
* J. Cotgrave
- He constantly read his lectures twice a week for above forty years, giving notice of the time to his auditors in a ticket on the school doors.
A label affixed to goods to show their price or description.
A certificate or token of a share in a lottery or other scheme for distributing money, goods, etc.
- Your courtier is mad to take up silks and velvets / On ticket for his mistress.
* automatic ticket sampling machine
* golden ticket
* have tickets on oneself
* lottery ticket
* one-way ticket
* that's the ticket
* ticket machine
* write one's own ticket
To issue someone a ticket, as for travel or for a violation of a local or traffic law.
* ticket off
An act of stamping the foot, paw or hoof.
* 1922 , (Margery Williams), (The Velveteen Rabbit)
- The horse gave two quick stamps and rose up on its hind legs.
An indentation or imprint made by stamping.
- Just then there was a sound of footsteps, and the Boy ran past near them, and with a stamp of feet and a flash of white tails the two strange rabbits disappeared.
A device for stamping designs.
- My passport has quite a collection of stamps .
A small piece of paper bearing a design on one side and adhesive on the other, used to decorate letters or craft work.
- She loved to make designs with her collection of stamps .
A small piece of paper, with a design and a face value, used to prepay postage or other costs such as tax or licence fees.
- These stamps have a Christmas theme.
- I need one first-class stamp to send this letter.
(slang, figuratively) A tattoo
(slang) A single dose of lysergic acid diethylamide
- Now that commerce is done electronically, tax stamps are no longer issued here .
* (act of stamping ):
* (indentation or imprint made by stamping ):
* (device for stamping designs ):
* (paper used to indicate payment has been paid ): postage stamp, revenue stamp, tax stamp
* rubber stamp
To step quickly and heavily, once or repeatedly.
To move (the foot or feet) quickly and heavily, once or repeatedly.
- The toddler screamed and stamped , but still got no candy.
To strike, beat, or press forcibly with the bottom of the foot, or by thrusting the foot downward.
- The crowd cheered and stamped their feet in appreciation.
- He frets, he fumes, he stares, he stamps the ground.
To mark by pressing quickly and heavily.
- This machine stamps the metal cover with a design.
To give an official marking to, generally by impressing or imprinting a design or symbol.
- This machine stamps the design into the metal cover.
To apply postage stamps to.
- The immigration officer stamped my passport.
(figurative) To mark; to impress.
* John Locke
- I forgot to stamp this letter.
- God has stamped no original characters on our minds wherein we may read his being.
, date=September 18
, author=Ben Dirs
, title=Rugby World Cup 2011: England 41-10 Georgia
, work=BBC Sport
, passage=England's superior conditioning began to show in the final quarter and as the game began to break up, their three-quarters began to stamp
their authority on the game. And when Foden went on a mazy run from inside his own 22 and put Ashton in for a long-range try, any threat of an upset was when and truly snuffed out.}}
* (mark by pressing quickly and heavily ): emboss, dent
* (give an official marking to ): impress, imprint