Elf vs Stag - What's the difference?
As an initialism elf
is (a radical environmentalism group
As a noun stag is
an adult male deer.
As a verb stag is
(british) to act as a "stag", an irregular dealer in stocks.
As an adverb stag is
of a man, attending a formal social function without a date.
(Norse mythology) A luminous spirit presiding over nature and fertility and dwelling in the world of (Elfland). Compare angel, nymph, fairy.
Any from a race of mythical, supernatural beings resembling but seen as distinct from human beings. Usually skilled in magic or spellcrafting; sometimes depicted as clashing with dwarves, especially in modern fantasy literature.
(fantasy) Any of the magical, typically forest-guarding races bearing some similarities to the Norse (through Tolkien's Eldar)
A very diminutive person; a dwarf.
- Every elf , and fairy sprite, / Hop as light as bird from brier.
* light elves
* dark elves
* Marshall Jones Company (1930). Mythology of All Races'' Series, Volume 2 ''Eddic , Great Britain: Marshall Jones Company, 1930, pp. 220-221.
* (l) (dialectal), (l) (Scotland), (l), (l) (obsolete)
An adult male deer.
A colt, or filly.
(by extension, obsolete) A romping girl.
An improperly or late castrated bull or ram – called also a bull seg. See the Note under ox.
An outside irregular dealer in stocks, who is not a member of the exchange.
One who applies for the allotment of shares in new projects, with a view to sell immediately at a premium, and not to hold the stock.
The European wren, .
An unmarried male, a bachelor; a male not accompanying a female at a social event.
A social event for males held in honor of a groom on the eve of his wedding, attended by male friends of the groom, sometimes a fund-raiser.
- The stag will be held in the hotel's ballroom
* (social event) bachelor party (US''), stag do (''UK informal ), stag party
* stag beetle
* stag do
* stag night
* stag party
(British) To act as a "stag", an irregular dealer in stocks.
To watch; to dog, or keep track of.
Of a man, attending a formal social function without a date.
- My brother went stag to prom because he couldn't find a date.