Not English Rohan has no English definition. It may be misspelled.
English words similar to 'rohan':rain
(obsolete) A dagger.
A tool, similar to a spade, used for digging out weeds etc.
* 1728 , , A Pastoral Dialogue'', 1910, William Browning (editor), ''The Poems of Jonathan Swift , Volume 2, 2004,
Gutenberg eBook #13621,
* 1885 , , After London: or Wild England , 2004 ,
- My love to Sheelah is more firmly fixt, / Than strongest weeds that grow these stones betwixt: / My spud these nettles from the stone can part; / No knife so keen to weed thee from my heart.
Gutenberg eBook #13944,
* 1925 , , 2008, Arrow Books,
- Deprived of motion by the blow of the club, it can, on the other hand, be picked up without trouble and without the aid of a dog, and if not dead is despatched by a twist of the Bushman's fingers or a thrust from his spud'. The ' spud is at once his dagger, his knife and fork, his chisel, his grub-axe, and his gouge. It is a piece of iron (rarely or never of steel, for he does not know how to harden it) about ten inches long, an inch and a half wide at the top or broadest end, where it is shaped and sharpened like a chisel, only with the edge not straight but sloping, and from thence tapering to a point at the other, the pointed part being four-sided, like a nail.
(informal) A potato.
* 1927 , Boys' Life (May 1927, page 8)
- A most respectable old Johnnie, don't you know. Doesn't do a thing nowadays but dig in the garden with a spud .
A hole in a sock.
* 1958 , M, K. Joseph, I'll Soldier No More: A Novel ,
- We were peeling spuds on afternoon detail back of the lodge at summer camp — Billy Dean and I, and two or three more — and as usual arguing about whether the camp work ought to be done that way or not
* 1990 , Ray Salisbury, Sweet Thursday: A Novel ,
- He leans over to one side to get the light, as he darns a hole in the heel of a sock. He is getting pretty smart at it now, and no longer makes spuds in the sock to chafe his heels.
* 2000 , Christopher Nolan, The Banyan Tree: A Novel ,
- He was getting tall too, and his trousers were short even though his turn-ups had been turned down, and he'd got a spud in his socks where his shoe rubbed where he trod over trying to walk bow-legged to look like a cowboy.
* 2007 , Trevor Griffiths, Sam, Sam'' in ''Theatre Plays One ,
- His wife was darning a sock, running a needle and yarn across and back, over and under, up and down, gradually filling in the big spud -hole in her husband's sock.
(obsolete, US, dialect) Anything short and thick; specifically, a piece of dough boiled in fat.
- (Already becoming absorbed in his feet through the giant spud in his sock)'' Anyway, I'm er, I'm sorry. A quite unnecessary embarrassment for you. ''(He removes sock completely, begins rhythmic rubbing of webs)
* spud gun
(drilling) To begin drilling an oil well; to drill by moving the drill bit and shaft up and down, or by raising and dropping a bit.
* 1911 , Isaiah Bowman, United States Geological Survey Water-Supply Paper 257: Well-Drilling Methods ,
* 1999 , Steve Devereux, Drilling for Oil & Gas: A Nontechnical Guide ,
- A rope called the jerk line is attached to the wrist pin of the band-wheel crank, brought inside the derrick, and attached to the part of the drilling cable which extends from the crown pulley to the bull-wheel shaft by a curved metal slide called a spudding shoe. (See fig. 8.)
* 2008 , Ruwan Rajapakse, Pile Design and Construction Rules of Thumb ,
- When a well is spudded , the drilling assembly is loosely tied to the guide wires with 1/2? manila rope.
* 2008 , J. K. Lasser, J.K. Lasser?s Your Income Tax: 2009 , Professional Edition,
- Spudding' is the process of lifting and dropping the pile constantly until the obstruction is broken into pieces. Obviously, '''spudding''' cannot be done with lighter piles (timber or pipe piles). Concrete piles and steel H-piles are good candidates for ' spudding .
(roofing) To remove the roofing aggregate and most of the bituminous top coating by scraping and chipping.
- Prepayments of drilling expenses are deductible by tax-shelter investors only if the well is “spudded ” within 90 days after the close of the taxable year in which the prepayment was made, and the deduction is limited to the original amount of the investment.
* spudding shoe