Spruce vs Sprue - What's the difference?
As nouns the difference between spruce and sprue
is that spruce
is (obsolete) prussia while sprue
is sprue (all senses).
Other Comparisons: What's the difference?
Any of various large coniferous evergreen trees from the genus Picea , found in northern temperate and boreal regions; originally and more fully spruce fir.
(uncountable) The wood of a spruce.
(used attributively) Made of the wood of the spruce.
(obsolete) Prussia leather; pruce.
* E. Phillips
- That spruce table is beautiful!
- Spruce , a sort of leather corruptly so called for Prussia leather.
(comparable) Smart, trim, and elegant in appearance; fastidious (said of a person).
* 1919 ,
* 2012 , The Economist, 13th Oct 2012,
- He had great neatness of person, and he continued to wear his spruce black coat and his bowler hat, always a little too small for him, in a dapper, jaunty manner.
Plessey returns: Chips with everything
- The two clean rooms, where chips are made, are sprucer than a hospital theatre.
To arrange neatly; tidy up.
) To make oneself spruce (neat and elegant in appearance).
From (etyl) spruw, sprouw .
(medicine) A tropical disease causing a sore throat and tongue, and disturbed digestion; psilosis.
* celiac sprue
(founding) The hole through which melted metal is poured into the gate, and thence into the mold.
(founding) Material that cools in the feed channels to a mold.