Tidy vs Spruce - What's the difference?
| Related terms
Tidy is a related term of spruce.
As a proper noun tidy
As a noun spruce is
(obsolete) In good time; at the right time; timely; seasonable; opportune; favourable; fit; suitable.
(lb) Brave; smart; skillful; fine; good.
Appropriate or suitable as regards occasion, circumstances, arrangement, or order.
Arranged neatly and in order.
- if weather be fair and tidy
Not messy; neat and controlled.
(informal) Generous, considerable.
- Keep Britain tidy .
- The scheme made a tidy profit.
* spick and span
To make tidy; to neaten.
A tabletop container for pens and stationery.
A cover, often of tatting, drawn work, or other ornamental work, for the back of a chair, the arms of a sofa, etc.
(dated) A child's pinafore.
- a desk tidy
(Wales) Expression of positive agreement, usually in reply to a question.
Often used by people from South Wales to end a sentence or as a reply to a question meaning "Great" or "Fine", for example "I'm going to the shops for ten fags" may get the reply "Tidy."
1000 English basic words
Any of various large coniferous evergreen trees from the genus Picea , found in northern temperate and boreal regions; originally and more fully spruce fir.
(uncountable) The wood of a spruce.
(used attributively) Made of the wood of the spruce.
(obsolete) Prussia leather; pruce.
* E. Phillips
- That spruce table is beautiful!
- Spruce , a sort of leather corruptly so called for Prussia leather.
(comparable) Smart, trim, and elegant in appearance; fastidious (said of a person).
* 1919 ,
* 2012 , The Economist, 13th Oct 2012,
- He had great neatness of person, and he continued to wear his spruce black coat and his bowler hat, always a little too small for him, in a dapper, jaunty manner.
Plessey returns: Chips with everything
- The two clean rooms, where chips are made, are sprucer than a hospital theatre.
To arrange neatly; tidy up.
) To make oneself spruce (neat and elegant in appearance).